Spectec SDW-823 Micro SDIO WLAN Card
v tran
2010-09-23 23:08:47 UTC
I received my Spectec SDW-823 microSD (SDIO) Wi-Fi.
I found the page,
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote_Wi-Fi
describing setting it up in openwrt-xburst.
Has anyone got it working in jlime?  If so, please describe the process.
Thanks,
Gary
Rafael Ignacio Zurita
2010-09-24 11:21:25 UTC
Post by v tran
I received my Spectec SDW-823 microSD (SDIO) Wi-Fi.
Cool :)
Post by v tran
I found the page,
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote_Wi-Fi
describing setting it up in openwrt-xburst.
Has anyone got it working in jlime?  If so, please describe the process.
The wiki info is for 2.6.32 kernel right? If nobody tried I will help
you with qi 2.6.34 kernel for Jlime, and if we have still problems Lars and
other kernel hackers will help surely ;)

Rafa
v tran
2010-09-24 17:25:43 UTC
Thanks Rafa,
I thought the wiki was for the openwrt install, not jlime.
I'm afraid what I need is a howto install and activate the SDIO WiFi card on the Ben Nanonote, with Jlime installed, for complete dummies.
- Gary

Rafa
Rafael Ignacio Zurita
2010-09-24 21:34:19 UTC
Post by v tran
Thanks Rafa,
I thought the wiki was for the openwrt install, not jlime.
Yes, it is, but we will manage to build a proper qi 2.6.34 kernel for Jlime
with that driver as well.
Post by v tran
I'm afraid what I need is a howto install and activate the SDIO WiFi card on the Ben Nanonote, with Jlime installed, for complete dummies.
After kernel is ready we just will need to install the wireless tools
packages and test. I will need your help with that, I do not
have such device.

Rafa
v tran
2010-09-25 03:34:23 UTC
Rafa,
That sounds great to me.  I'm more than happy to help in any way.
Just let me know when and how.  Thanks.
Gary

Rafa
Rafael Ignacio Zurita
2010-09-29 21:58:13 UTC
Post by v tran
I'm afraid what I need is a howto install and activate the SDIO WiFi card on the Ben Nanonote, with Jlime installed, for complete dummies.
kernel is ready (thanks Lars and Werner who helped me a bit with this).

Get all the files to test your Spectec SDW-823 Micro SDIO WLAN Card :

http://jlime.com/downloads/releases/muffinman/kernels/for_wifi_KS7010_chip/

You will need to boot the new 2.6.34 uImage kernel file built, and load the
ks79xx_sdio.ko module. Also, install the wireless-tools package via opkg.

If you are using Jlime from NAND then reflash the kernel.
I am not sure if you will need to flash everything again (bootloader, kernel
and rootfs). I usually do, because I have had problems if I do not run nerase
first and flash all.
If you use Jlime from microSD then just copy the uImage file under /boot/
directory.

Also, copy the ks7010sd.rom and s79xx.cfg files under /lib/firmware/ (mkdir that
directory if it does not exist).

Copy the module ks79xx_sdio.ko file as well, after you booted the new kernel
load it with :

insmod ks79xx_sdio.ko

Install the wireless-tools (you need at least 32MB of swap) :

opkg update
opkg install wireless-tools

Then test wifi with iwconfig and friends (iwlist scan, etc).

If you have problems with this kernel or userland commands please tell us.
I am not sure that all is okey because I do not have that wifi hardware to try.

Rafa